Monday, March 1, 2010

Sky High


I'm missing my boys and I just saw them both yesterday! Joi, my orange tabby, was first to go...off to the boarding house for a week. Sunday morning I was trying to clean out his carrier and he knew what that meant - going to the Vet's! So he did what any self-respecting cat would do when threatened with some sort of "imprisonment" - he fled and tried to find one of his hard-to-reach hiding spots. We had a couple of hours so I gave him time to play his little hide-and-seek games. Without any effort from me, the little spoiled brat got hungry and had to come out in search of some good eats and that's when I nabbed him and put him in his carrier and off to the vet for his week-long stay. Sob!

Jonathan spent his day at the airport trying to do his flight planning for his 7-day trip round the North Eastern part of Kenya. All he could think about was how hot it was going to be over there. The veterans of the NE told him not to worry about the heat because he could tell the guest house workers to "pull his bed outside". I was like, "oh hell to the no! There are scorpions out there in the desert and God-knows what else! Yikes! My advice is shut the door, go commando and sweat it out in the house until morning!" Sleep is overrated anyway.

I thought it would be cool if I could plot his stop-over locations on Google Earth and follow him around on my laptop...didn't know GE doesn't have a plot/mapping feature. I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out what a GIS application was and after all that effort, couldn't find one I could download to help me plot the points!! I ended up using Google Maps as seen below! So, let's all 'look in' on Jonathan and cheer him on during his first Kenyan long-distance, multi-stop flight! To hell with the scorpions, snakes, desert critters and scorching heat, we are logging in some hours! Yay!


View Jonathan's Flight Path in a larger map

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah!! to the hours being logged in. Go Jona.. and pole for the week alone mama!! Hope you are well still following your blogs keeps me entertained, so don't stop. Take care chica.
Wendy wa Mbugua.

Janette said...

Hey newly-wed! Glad you are still checking in! Yes, we are really happy that he is getting some air time now:-)

Waithaka Mugo said...

Warr...seems no one is at home! Joi @ the vets, jonah far north and you huko far south..... all damn hot areas! Take lots of pics in magadi n hope that the next blog is about your trip and the land prospects huko. Y'all be safe.

Janette said...

Will do! I will post the pics in the next couple of days. All the flies live in Magadi!

CrazyCoolLush said...

haha this is so you..you've made me laugh truly...