Monday, September 22, 2008

Weekend in Ngong

Spent the weekend in Ngong at my Uncle Mike's house. Quite the relaxing weekend and got to see my great-grams who lives on the same property so that was great! This is the second time I've seen her since I got back and she is still in disbelief that I'm here - she once told me over the phone that she wasn't going to die until I came back home. Thank God she's still holding on!

Sunday was also my niece Aggie's 8th birthday! Kids really know how to hint...I got her a skateboard and so did her parents:-) She decided to keep both because the one I got her is a "stunt" board and the other one is a regular board - ok, as long as she knows what to do with the darn things, I'm good with it!

Halfway through the day, nephew Adrian says "look at the rainbow!" and I dismiss him because it hadn't rained so why the hell would there be a rainbow? And besides, I was in a food-coma and had my lawn chair in the perfect spot with half my body in the sun and the other in the shade. No way, Jose, I ain't gettin' up for nothing! But as with all little boys, this one wasn't giving up and I begrudgingly get up and of course, I'm looking west to east and I don't see a rainbow. Darn these kids...then he says, "no, up there!" Sure enough, I look straight up and before I am blinded I see an amazing rainbow that is in a perfect circle. The paparazzi in me heads for the house, grabs my camera thinking, "I could be witnessing some great event and here I am doubting a 4-yr old!"
I actually tried to take a picture of the rainbow with my Fuji FinePix s10000fd and could not take a decent picture (ok so if I bothered to read the manual maybe I could have found a way to take this blinding picture) so I decided to take video instead and then just broke down the video into a bunch of frames and this was the first frame. Like any self respecting research freak would do, I went online to find out what this thing was and tons of websites indicate that a full-circle rainbow is nearly impossible to view because the only way to see a full circle of a rainbow in the sky is to be above the raindrops and have the sun behind you. You would have to look down on the drops from an airplane. So considering I was not in an airplane, this is the coolest thing I've seen from the ground!

2 comments:

Makalani said...

Wow! What an amazing sight! And what an amazing mind to break your video down into a still you can share with all of us! Thanks Janette!

Janette said...

It was awesome! I have never witnessed anything like this - it was breathtaking...and here I was doubting my nephew! I am just glad he was insistent enough or I would never have had the chance to see a full circle rainbow:-)